Monday 19 December 2011

The Wonders of Tea

After a brief (and fairly pointless) argument with my significant other last night, I removed myself from the situation and made a cup of tea. While staring at the tea as it steeped, I came to a realization. This blog shouldn't be written the way I have so far. People don't an anonymous crap if I type with proper grammar, or use eloquent sentences. I can write this in my own style of writing, with my own preference for sentence structure, whatever I choose. If I decided to code my computer so that it wrote in the Draconic script from Skyrim, it wouldn't matter. This is my little corner of the internet; I'll write however I damn well want to.

On a slightly different note, chamomile tea is a wonderful thing to have at one in the morning, after an argument and when you need to quiet your mind. Chamomile tea, although having a distinct smell that many people dislike, is very soothing. It's a smooth tea, slightly yellow in colour. It also tastes best when freshly made, allowing it to sit for any length of time to cool is not a good idea.

Speaking of tea, it was an odd feeling when I realize that I know more about tea than some of the people who work at the stores I buy my tea from. Chamomile is an herbal tea, specifically it's a flower. Herbal teas like this, as well as black teas, are steeped with boiling water (98 degrees Fahrenheit). White and green tea cannot be brewed with water this temperature, as the leaves will singe and create a bitter flavour. The reason I explain all of this is because a tea I recently purchased contained chamomile and both black and white tea leaves, among other things. The combination of leaf types led me to assume that I should use the water temperature for white tea, so as to not ruin the flavour. When I asked the worker who recommended the tea, he replied along the lines of "Use boiling water. The white tea won't burn, but the chamomile might. Since there isn't much chamomile in this tea, it should be fine with boiling water." Short of recommending flavours of teas I have yet to try, I don't think I'll put much weight into employees opinions of teas.

Tea is a wonderful thing, with a blend for just about anything. I shall make myself a pot of it now.

-Life's a flam

No comments:

Post a Comment