Wednesday 1 July 2015

Joshua Radin

It's amazing how music can affect so many aspects of your life. A number of years ago, I was dating a girl and I listened to an artist all the time when she was around. I'd sing along with the songs for her. She'd sing to me too, but was fairly tone deaf. It was hard to listen to as a music student. Regardless, I had built up the association between our relationship and the songs. When we broke up, I couldn't listen to them without thinking of her, so I stopped listening to the artist all together.

Now, a number of years and relationships later, I began listening to the artist again. My past associations with it have decayed, and I can begin creating new connections with Kitten. The artist is question is Joshua Radin.

I was first introduced to Joshua Radin by my sibling, when they sent me his song, "No Envy, No Fear". It's a very mellow piece that talks about seeing the pain in others, particularly family, and helping them through it. Looking back at it all, it's a very appropriate song for the two of us.  

Joshua Radin has a very laid back sound, his vocal register is easily within reach for my own voice (he's a baritone), and his lyrics are beautifully chosen. The accompaniment is light, usually just a guitar or two, some percussion, and a chill drumset. 

The fact that I listen to his music while working in the kitchen is a feat in itself, considering how loud that environment is. But Joshua Radin's music helps me to calm down after a stressful situation, and to make me think of Kitten. That always makes me smile. 

If you're looking for some relaxed music to listen to, and maybe make you tear up a little, give Joshua Radin a listen.



Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment